Herpes Cure Advocacy News
HHS Listening Sessions: Two listening sessions were held this past week in an effort to gather insights for an addendum to the HHS 2020 STI Strategic Plan. Both patients and providers spoke with OIDP, NIH, and CDC stakeholders about their experiences and ideas for how to help cure, treat and prevent herpes in America. HCA is supporting our federal partners in this effort. There will be future opportunities for input including a listening session at the STD Engage conference in New Orleans May 16-18.
Herpes Cure Advocacy will exhibiting at STI/HIV World Congress in Chicago, IL.
Fundraising continues with industry partners, foundations, and individuals. Want more updates? Want to change the field faster? Please donate what you can to help advance this work!
Dr. Harvey Friedman has joined the Herpes Cure Advocacy Medical Advisory Board.
NEXT UP on Meet the Experts Series: April 26th 6pm EST Terri Warren from Westover Clinic. Register now!
Industry and News from the Pipeline
GSK Updates Phase 1 Clinical Trial End Date – changed to two weeks earlier!
GSK recruitment for Phase 2 expected to begin in June 2023 in the following locations: USA, Spain, UK, Belgium, Germany for HSV-2 positive people.
Dr. Gerald Kleymann presented an update on the HSV helicase-primase inhibitor IM-250, with potent in-vitro and in-vivo activity against HSV including nucleoside-resistant mutants due to its different mechanism of action. Clinical Trials are planned soon.
A team from Fred Hutch published promising results from clinical research on HSV-2.
What we’re reading
- Recent CARD funded study indicating links between neurodegenerative disorder and infectious disease
- The American Society of Gene & Cell Therapy Podcast: Drew Weissman, MD, PhD – Giants of Gene Therapy
- 2021 NIA workshop on the infectious Etiology of Alzheimer’s Disease
- NIH/CARD News: Could a Viral Illness Increase Chances of Developing Alzheimer’s or Other Neurodegenerative Disease?
- We Need an Operation Warp Speed for Long Covid