Calls for a Herpes Cure
Prevalence of Herpes Simplex Virus
Herpes Simplex Virus is the largest STI globally with no cure.
- 6 billion globally with HSV-1
- 66% of the world’s population has HSV-1
- 13% of the world’s population has HSV-2
- 40-80 million living with HSV-2 recurrent painful genital lesions
- 420,000+ new HIV infections each year due to GHSV-2
- 14,000 neonatal infections per year
- ~1,000 infant deaths in the US as a result of neonatal herpes annually
- 10 million with herpetic eye disease
Because of the asymptomatic nature of Herpes Simplex Virus, its burden of disease is under appreciated. Potential for severe disease exists in many patients, and 5% or an estimated 187 million people do have recurring genital lesions.
Herpes is also a neuropathic virus that lives in the peripheral and central nervous system, with potential for serious health impacts beyond oral and genital lesions.
Get in touch
Have a news tip? Are you working on clinical research for HSV treatments and want to share updates with the public? Let us know!
Never miss a thing. Sign up for emails.